Recipe: Modified Sanjay Gupta Turmeric Tea

Homepage Forums Trail Foods Recipe: Modified Sanjay Gupta Turmeric Tea

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Vegan Packer 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Vegan Packer
    Participant

This is sort of my own creation. I saw this recipe on TV (originally from Dr. Sanjay Gupta), and then I modified it to make it vegan, and to make it work well for on the trail. I have this every morning that I am on the trail, and then I have it again at night. It’s great!

Modified Sanjay Gupta Turmeric Tea

Dehydration Time: 15-18 hours
    Makes 4 servings

4 cups Plain Almond Milk, Unsweetened
    1 Cup Coconut Cream, Unsweetened
    10 Teaspoons Cinnamon
    2 Teaspoons Turmeric
    3 Teaspoons Ginger
    1/4 Cup Teaspoons Maple Sugar
    2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
    4 Cups Water (for rehydration on the trail)

AT HOME

Add all ingredients except water to a blender or Vitamix. Blend until all components have been thoroughly mixed together. Pour the mixture onto fruit roll dehydrator trays. A good idea is to pour one tray, briefly remix in the blender to avoid separation of the remaining mixture, and then proceed with pouring the next tray, and then continuing to remix the remainder between any additional pours.

Dehydrate at 135̊F for 15 to 18 hours or until nearly completely dry and brittle. Remove the dried mixture from the trays. If it is too difficult to remove from the dehydrator trays, place in the freezer for about 20 minutes, which will make removal easier, and then remove the dried mixture.

After removal, grind into a fine powder using a food processor, Vitamix dry container, coffee grinder or spice grinder. If you find that the grinds are still moist or sticky, place back into the dehydrator for a few hours, and then repeat the grinding and checking until fully dried powder, which will wind up to be about the size of coffee grinds. Divide into four (1.3 ounce) portions, and place each portion in a separate freezer bag or your selected storage container.

AT CAMP

Prepare one cup of hot water per portion. Add heated water to freezer bag or your storage container. If using a freezer bag, vent excess air, seal the bag, and mix the contents by gently squeezing the bag where the liquid and solids meet. If in another storage container, stir or shake contents together. Add to a cozy for a few minutes to allow rehydration to complete. Mix or stir again before serving.

Kristina
    Participant

1st time commenting here and I’m challenged but I’m also very UN-savvy on the PC.

http://www.turmericforhealth.com/turmeric-benefits/health-benefits-of-black-pepper-and-turmeric

Hope the link works! By adding black pepper to your recipe you get all the wonderful benefits of turmeric. I drink turmeric tea everyday during the winter. I like this recipe you posted adding the black pepper though. I’m wondering if you can set the temp to 115 instead of 135 so you keep the nutritional benefits of the ingredients?

Thanks!

Vegan Packer
    Participant

I imagine that this would still work, but it would take much longer to dehydrate.

Vegan Packer
    Participant

I just posted an instructional video for making this recipe.

Click here for the video.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.