Favorite day hike snacks

Homepage Forums Trail Foods Favorite day hike snacks

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  adney smith 3 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

I want to try out new snacks to bring on day hikes, so I’m looking for suggestions for awesome vegan food.

What are your fave day hike snacks?

Rich Bebenroth
    Participant

Not sure why I make it when I hike, as it has to stay cold. But I often bring chickpea “tuna” salad on my hikes. Mash some chickpeas, add some relish, vegenaise, lemon juice, powdered kale and black pepper and you are good to go. Serve it on bread or just eat it with a spoon.

VeganizedAsheville
    Participant

I’ve been loving vegan jerky lately for snacks. Butler Foods makes a good one that is less chewy but if you want to put your jaws to work Primal vegan jerky is filling and keeps you busy while you chew it up.

Gotta be honest, I’m totally not into jerky. Vegan or the meat version before I went veg. It’s the texture.

But I wanted to give Primal Strips a try on our camping trip last night. I didn’t even bite it all the way through. I bit in a little and almost gagged. hahaha The taste was great (Texas BBQ I think) but I just can’t do the texture!

Rich, Chickpea salads are the best!

Rich Bebenroth
    Participant

Funny on the Primal Strips…I loved jerky in my meat-eating days so no problem there.
    I noticed in my post I said “powdered kale” meand to say “powdered kelp”
    Two more things always in my day pack. Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut Butter Packets and often PB2 powdered Peanut Butter either with out without chocolate.

I’ve never tried PB2. It’s good? Definitely have to remember some kind of nut butter on my next trip. Yum!

Rich Bebenroth
    Participant

I like the chocolate one a lot more than the plain one. Good is subjective but I like it a few friends who tried it liked it.

Autumn
    Participant

I usually stick to fruit and nuts — oh and seaweed snacks! I looove seaweed. I also enjoy trail mix. Nature’s Way “gourmet on the go” has three awesome trail mixes and the “antioxidant mix” has dark chocolate, no milk! That’s my personal favorite.

Kristina
    Participant

I’m excited to try the chick pea salad!!

I like to dehydrate hummus (115 degrees) and then grind it up in a coffee grinder and then all you have to do is add a little water and BAM, hummus! I’m very new to camping (been camping 9 times since July 1st my 1st time out!). I’m totally obsessed!! So I need help with snacks and meals! I’m going on my 1st beginner backpacking trip with the Serria Club this Nov 14th. I’m not sure what to bring for my dinner! Love some suggestions. 🙂

How was your backpacking trip, Kristina?

Dehydrating hummus is such a great idea! I really need to get a dehydrator!

Jessica

Vegan Packer
    Participant

I love this spicy applesauce recipe. It is super light weight, and you can eat it as fruit leather for a snack while on the move, or you can rehydrate it for warm applesauce with your dinner.

I buy the 64 ounce plastic jars of unsweetened applesauce at Costco, sold in packs of three, so it is very inexpensive to make.

Spicy Applesauce

1 64 ounce jar of unsweetened applesauce
    2 Tbsp Cinnamon
    1 Tsp Powdered Ginger
    1/8 Cup Brown Sugar (Optional)
    1 Tsp Lemon Juice
    2 Cups Raisins
    2 Cups Walnuts

AT HOME

Add all ingredients except raisins and walnuts to a saucepan. Warm the saucepan ingredients over medium-low heat, to meld flavors and dissolve solids into the applesauce.

After measuring to determine the size of an individual portion (test out on a plate or in a bowl–I find that one jar makes about six portions), keep track of how many portions you have for your end product, and evenly spread the applesauce onto dehydrator fruit roll trays, about a quarter inch thick or less. Set the dehydrator for 10 to 12 hours at 140F.

Check at about halfway done, and rotate the trays to assure even dehydrating. Keep checking every so often. Once you have a solidified fruit leather that is not fully dehydrated, separate the leather from the fruit roll trays. You may need to use a thin metal spatula or knife to carefully separate the forming leather from the tray. Flip the moist fruit leather, and place directly on the dehydrator drying tray but without the leather tray. This will speed the remaining dehydration of the applesauce.

When finished, the final product should be completely dry, not sticky. Cut into portions, place in a plastic bag or other container, and then place in the freezer until ready for the trail.

Chop up walnuts into smaller pieces. Combine with raisins, and place in a container or plastic bag. Store in a cool, dry place, or freeze until ready to take on the trail.

ON THE TRAIL

On the trail, you can eat the fruit leather as a snack, or you can rehydrate by adding some hot water, placing in a cozy for a few minutes, and then kneading as required until reconstituted as applesauce. Don’t add too much water! You can always add more if you find that the applesauce is not reconstituting properly.

If rehydrating, add raisins and walnuts and distribute throughout the applesauce evenly. If you choose to eat some of your applesauce as fruit leather, you can eat the leftover raisins and nuts as a separate snack.

If you’d like to see how it comes out as applesauce when rehydrated, you can see this in my video from my backpacking trip to Washington. To jump to the section with rehydrating and eating the applesauce, you can find it at 21:08 to about 24:20.

adney smith
    Participant

hi
    i dont know about this

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.